Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wacky Wednesdays - Real Life Happens

News 1 - So, as some of you may know, I have been unemployed for a while.  So today, I started my new job that pays nearly 3 times as much as my last job, and is the most I have ever made.  Not that I am saying this to be braggadocious, but to celebrate my new position.  I directly report to the COO of an international company, and the work is easy.  (I am an auditor)

News 2 - My son and I went down to my hobby lair in the basement, and he says, "DAD! There's a snake!"  Now, we live in an old house (late 1800's, completely remodeled except for the basement.) and, we are in the middle of winter in Michigan, so my natural response is, "No, there is not a snake there..." upon closer inspection, it is a snake.  To give some background, I tripped into a snake nest of garter snakes when I was younger, not dangerous, but very traumatic, and it scarred for life, so every time I see a snake that is not behind glass, I freak out.  So, I started yelling, "HELP!" and My son joins in.  My wife calls from the top of the stairs, and I tell her there is a snake.  She responds with, "What do you want me to do about it?"  I say, "find some sticks and a bucket!"  So, she throws down some curtain rods, and a bucket.  After 3 times trying to grab this thing, and have it escape, I was able to get it into the bucket, and throw a lid on it.  In the dim light, it looked about 18-24" long, black with horizontal white or yellow stripes.  I took it out into the cold, and got a closer look, and it was red, with black and yellow/ivory stripes, with a white belly.  After looking it up on Google, it turned out to be a Red Rat Snake.  I have a pic of the one we caught, and will post it at another time.  (It's late, and I am tired.)

News 3 - I am scheduled to play a game of 40k with hakomike this Saturday of 1750 points.  Orks vs Marines.  Should be a lot of fun.  And for the first time, our sons are going to play together their own version of 40k while we play ours.  (I know my son is estatic)

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are having lots of fun... work, snakes and 40K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dont worry, corn snakes are completely harmless and are often kept as pets. Maybe you could keep it as a pet, may help to get you over your fear of snakes

    ReplyDelete
  3. You realize that the snake you found is in Blood Ravens color scheme... a portent of your impending defeat Saturday! Muhuhuhahahaaaaa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or since I was able to toss it out of the house, it is more a portent of YOUR defeat. (I can just as easily remove the Blood Ravens from the table as I did a snake...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the job and the snake removal.

    ReplyDelete