Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Digital Waaagh movie reviews

I am not a movie expert.  I go to the movies to be entertained, not analyze every shot, and subcontext.  If a movie is overall enjoyable to me, the studio has done their job, (in coordination with the cast, and crew and director.)  That being said, I can be free to offer my opinion of a couple of movies I recently watched.
Like a true geek, I like the Planet of the Apes franchise.  From the original “hokey” movies in the 60’s and 70’s to Tim Burton’s reimagining.  With that in mind, I thought I would see a movie about apes coming to power…I was wrong, and delightfully so! 
This movie was more thought provoking than I had thought.  It was less action, and more philosophy, than I had anticipated.  Although it was not the beat down movie of the century, it was quite enjoyable.  There were several nods to the original that I appreciated. 
Andy Serkis’ performance made the movie.  His emotions (thanks to the effects team) really seemed to shine through.   I don’t care who they cast in the other roles, he stole the show.  Although, Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) is always likable as a bad guy. 
Overall, well worth the time, and I give it a He-Man on the 80’s toy scale!

Action packed re-telling of a familiar story.  I am convinced that Hollywood has run out of real ideas.  While that statement is not new, the more I see movies like this, the more I am convinced of it.  This is swashbuckling for the “Twilight” set.   (Complete with sexual innuendo and double entendre)
If you can remove your brain and just enjoy this movie, then do so.  I liken it to “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” while not a great movie, it has its eye candy moments. 
The plot and acting seems forced, and predictable.  (How “new” can you make a classic?) 
I like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and this is along the same vein.  Just fun, swashbuckling action adventure! 
So, bottom line, wait for the DVD, and don’t get caught up with thoughts like “That could never happen!”
I rate it a Chuck Norris and the Karate Commandos on 80’s Toy Scale!

Next week, we review “The Sitter” and “Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows”

No comments:

Post a Comment